Friday, October 14, 2005

Halifax

The first two days of the book tour took place in Halifax.
In Halifax, even yawning was friendly. People nodded and smiled in corridors and in parks. The young woman behind the reception desk had a gentle, quiet face, but always the edges of a smile. Once, when I approached her desk, she remembered my room number. I felt honoured. I wondered if it was because my room number was the same as the Halifax area code. Or maybe it was because I was always asking her questions. How do I get to the waterfront. Do you have a map. Is there a pharmacy nearby. Where is Pier 21. How long does it take to get there? Where can I buy some wine. How do I access the internet? I was always approaching her desk with an enquiring eye.
Waiting for a lift, a man yawned in such a friendly, conversational way that I had to say something. I said, “Had a late night?” or something like that. He said, no, it’s just been a busy day. And now he’s going to Salty’s on the Waterfront for dinner, if you can believe it! He yawned again, even friendlier, and we got in the lift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home